Thammasat University’s Library System was
established along with the University itself,
in 1934. The Libraries were initially
a division under the Office of the Rector,
but in 1963 were upgraded to an independent
division, with all libraries becoming centralized
under the administration of the
Thammasat University Library System.
In 1997, Thammasat University's Main Library (Pridi Banomyong)
moved to new facilities, the first underground library
building in Thailand. At the same time, the Library System
became a fully automated network.
As an academic facility, the libraries serve current Thammasat
students and staff as priority members, but are also open to
alumni, students and staff of other academic institutions and
paying members of the public.